About Scottish Badgers
Scottish Badgers is an independent Scottish charity. It was founded in 1999, with encouragement from the Scottish Government, who perceived a need for a non-statutory body to work in this field.
Scottish Badgers cooperates closely with the Badger Trust, whose activities cover all the other areas of the British Isles. It should be noted that the law on badgers differs in each country of the U.K.
- To promote the study, conservation and protection of badgers, their setts and natural habitat in Scotland.
What We Do
- Survey and record the presence of badgers
- Provide training for our members and professionals in badger ecology, awareness, field skills, and the law.
- Work with young people to fire their imagination and create positive attitudes to the environment
- Prevent badger persecution and crime
- Provide expert advice to the public on all badger matters
- Provide expert advice to professionals in planning, development, transport, forestry and agriculture
- Provide expert advice and assistance to the police and the S.S.P.C.A. and expert witnesses to the courts
- Increase public awareness of badgers and the threats they face
- Please note that Scottish Badgers is a charity and unable to undertake commercial work
- We set up and ran the Scottish Badger Distribution Survey, 2006-09, which involved around 600 volunteers, covered around 900 1 km. squares, (sampled and stratified), and plotted the incidence of main badger setts in various habitats.
- We recommended and lobbied for improvements to the law protecting badgers. These were brought about by The Nature Conservation (Scotland) Act 2004, and The Wildlife and Natural Environment (Scotland) Act 2011.
- We developed the current Scottish Badgers Training System for volunteers with the aid of Scottish Government.
The charity publishes a report each year, as well as complete accounts, available to all those who wish to see them. In 2012, we moved to a shorter and more user friendly format to ensure the material is more readable. Past reports and accounts are now available.